Pages

Sunday 12 January 2014

[Our] Place; NY Sunday Brunch

I don’t know if it’s my age, genetics or the things I learned from watching my parents but I love homemaking.

I think it’s telling that my Christmas list this year was exclusively kitchen gadgets, prints, and accessories for the house and I was thrilled to receive them.

I read recently that your home should be a retreat, somewhere to relax and that having a hobby at home can help your home feel like your sanctuary.

My constant ‘home-hobby’ is entertaining, I love having a house full of people
Last Sunday was a New Year Brunch with my nearest and dearest from school and it gave me the perfect opportunity to test out the new food mixer and bread maker.

NY Brunch Menu
Baked dippy eggs with Parmesan
Bacon wrapped asparagus
Chipolatas
Homemade brioche and sour dough soldiers


The above was served with tea, fresh coffee & Virgin Pomegranate Mojitos and drop scones brought by two good friends

In my opinion every Brunch needs a sweet treat to round it off and this zingy fruity cake went down a storm. In fact several of my friends asked for the recipe so I thought I’d share with everyone.


Passion fruit drizzle cake [for 12]
Preparation time: 30 Minutes
Cooking time: 30 Minutes
Cooling Time: 60

Sponge Ingredients

225g unsalted butter, softened
225g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs
150ml milk
225g self-raising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Drizzle Ingredients
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Juice of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon
3 passion fruit, pulp only
100g golden granulated sugar


Method
Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Spray or Butter a 30 x 23cm baking tin, approx. 4 cm deep.


Put the butter and caster sugar in the bowl of a food processor and mix together until pale and fluffy, or use a large bowl and an electric hand whisk.

Add the eggs one at a time, then add the milk- Don’t worry if the mixture appears curdled at this point.


Gradually add the flour and baking powder through the funnel with the motor running, finally adding the orange zest.

Transfer the mixture to the baking tin, smoothing the surface, and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and shrinking slightly from the sides, and a skewer comes out clean from the centre.


Run a knife around the edge of the tin and prick the cake with a skewer all over the surface at about 2cm intervals.

Combine the orange and lemon juice, passion fruit pulp and granulated sugar in a bowl, then spoon this over the top of the warm cake.


Leave it to cool, allowing the juice to sink into the cake. Once cool, cut into squares.

Note: To make this gluten free, use 225g polenta instead of the flour and 2½ teaspoons baking powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment